Thursday, March 08, 2007

International Women's Day . . . et al.

Today is International Women's Day, 8 March. But I must confess that I am a bit confused because it is also---for this year only, let's hope---Student Day of Anger here in Toronto and the anniversary of what many historians (and the general public) see as the beginning of the Russian (February) Revolution in 1917. The fact that 8 March was International Women's Day had, actually, something to do with the timing of the revolution in Petrograd lo those many years ago. Women took to the streets of the capital to protest food shortages.

Today is also "the anniversary of the day last year when the McGuinty Liberals cancelled the tuition fee freeze and hiked our tuition by 5 -- 8% this year," according to an e-mail I got via our grad student listserv. Maybe so, but I question the wisdom of staging a "Student Day of Noise/Anger" today, of all days. Have some respect, people. Sigh.

By the way, I think today is also Alanis Morrissette day in Ottawa. I have a vague memory of this being declared years ago when I lived there . . . .

Anyways, for a proper posting on International Women's Day, please point your browser to Alex's excellent blog.

No comments: