Saturday, March 24, 2007

Did I tell you?

I've finally finished reading my supervisor's latest book. I've had the book since, oh, November, took it with me to Washington and London, but by early March I'd only read about, say, 60 pages or so. (LG had already read the damn thing long ago by this point, and he's not a historian at all.) But, I spent a few days with it and now it's done! And I rather liked it. It may not be as super fantastic as her last book---which was, after all, an international bestseller and winner of numerous awards---but it's really quite good. So says I.

While I'm at it, I've decided---pushed in part by an upcoming discussion---to tackle the latest offering of another member of my dissertation committee. Now 160 pages in, I'm very much enjoying it. My faith in and love of narrative is restored. (Good, critically smart narrative, of course.) It's awesome to have these two on my committee. Hopefully some of their skills and generally fabulousness will rub off on me.

Dissertation wise, I won't be able to do much in the next little while. What with several hundred more pages to read of that book, a report to write for my committee, and many essays to grade by early April, the .pdf'ing work will slow down a bit. Oh, and I must plan a trip to NYC to do research and visit excellent friend DN!!!

No comments: