Tuesday, October 16, 2007

This is why I prefer the front.

My last post title referred to the fact that I almost always stand at the front, right in front of the performers, at indie shows. I really like seeing the music, watching the interactions among the band members, and being able to readily recognize them all when I see them in the crowd after their set. But last night I went to see Spoon at the Kool Haus, and, with several hundred people there, I ended up in the middle of the crowd. For the first act---the Pony's---our group was behind a bunch of drunken youngsters who were making out and grinding and generally being quite inappropriate. It was distracting and made me kinda angry. They totally weren't paying much attention to what was happening up on stage. For the main attraction, we moved to the other side of the warehouse, but this time I got stuck behind people who were smoking up! They were less annoying, but it was still unfortunate. One guy kept threatening to knock me and JH over. Bad luck.

Otherwise, the concert was just fine. I did my best to get into it, but, honestly, I've had way more fun at $5 shows where I didn't know any of the bands and wasn't with a whole lot of awesome friends like last night. I think I'll stick to cheap (but great!) entertainment for the next little while.

No comments: