Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Indie Music 5.

Welcome to my weekly roundup of inexpensive indie(ish) musical happenings in downtown Toronto. I try to list as many shows here as I know about, though with a preference for listing those happening at venues I especially like, or featuring performers I know something about. This list is thus not comprehensive. In addition, I rarely list shows that cost $10 or more. If I'm missing something or you have any comments, please do let me know.

There's lots of good, cheap stuff happening this week. I'm posting this a bit late for Tuesday night shows, but oh well. Busy day! Ack.

As for what I'm doing music-wise this week, I might go out Thursday. I will go out Friday. Let me know if you want to come with.

TUESDAY

The Micronite Filters w/ Jon McKiel (from Halifax) and Oh No Forest Fires. This is Pitter Patter Nights #297 $5 @ The Boat, 158 Augusta. "indierockandbluesyroll." Oh No Forest Fires is a new band. They debuted a few weeks ago at Tiger Bar, and this will be their second show. They are louder and more exciting live than they are in their myspace demos. One of the main band members is Rajiv, the bass player from Five Blank Pages (see Friday's listing for more on that).

Walk over to the Silver Dollar Room on Spadina just north of College for The Zoobombs with opening acts Blood Ceremony and The Mark Inside. It'll cost you $10 to get it and take it all in. The Zoobombs' style is described by NOW Magazine as "funky psych blast." My friend CS offered up this: "japanese hard rock hip hop punk rock indy rock---they've got it all." Sounds pretty amazing, don't it?

And two free shows. Listings from Musicologist:
Wintersleep CD release w/ A Northern Chorus @ the Horseshoe, free.
Sarah Melody @ Mod Club (featuring an appearance by SNOW!), free.

WEDNESDAY

I got nothing, but see the listings here. Or, ok, maybe you can check out Mohawk Lodge and Octoberman at the Boat. Actually, this looks like it will be a good show. I am pro-Pitter Patter Nights these days. This one is #298. 9pm, $5.

THURSDAY

Mantler w/ Ben Gunning and The Thurstons. Pitter Patter Nights #299 @ The Boat, described as "soulfulrock." (This might mean "kinda boring," but that's just me being mean.) Doors 9pm, $5.

Nathan Lawr and the Minotaurs
CD release with Kate Maki and band plus Andy Swan @ Supermarket (268 Augusta, just south of College), Doors 9pm. I don't know what this one costs. I saw Nathan Lawr and the M's at Wavelength a couple Saturday's ago, and quite enjoyed the show. Low key but good. I will do this if I do anything Thursday night. See BlogTO's interview with Nathan here.

No Shame at Tiger Bar, 9pm, $5. Playing are Bells Clanging (Vancouver), Brigitte, and Tin Can Telephone Service Circus System Board. Doors at 9pm, $5.

Or go to the Arbour Room at Hart House for a free show by Spiral Beach.

FRIDAY

I'm heading to the Horseshoe Tavern for a CD release, but otherwise I'd be at Tiger Bar to see Foxfire Forest---they are fun. After the band, stick around for a "Dance Party Extroadinaire." I recommend it.

What I'm doing promises to be a good party too. Five Blank Pages are celebrating the release of their album, "Last Blush" @ The Horseshoe (the north east corner of Queen & Spadina, on the north side of the street). On the lineup are Tin Bangs @ 12:30am, Five Blank Pages @ 11:30pm, Infighter @ 10:30pm, Elephant @ 9:30pm. Tickets are $8 at the door. You can pick up the album plus "brand new t-shirts, buttons and more!" For more on the band and this special show, check out the Toronto Independent Music Podcast #83, hosted by the band's bass player. And you can read another interview here. And even more is here.

SATURDAY

I went to my first Pitter Patter Night show on Sunday, and it was great! Every night is different---sometimes quite different---but if you're interested in the music and are curious about this quirky venue, I'd definitely go check one of these out. I've never had a bad time at the Boat. Tonight is Pitter Patter's 3rd anniversary and show #300. Bands include Great Bloomers, The Rest, Camaromance. "epicatmosphericrock." As usual, I'm guessing doors at 9pm, $5.

Or head south and west and dance to DJs Shit la Merde (yes!) and Pammm at the Drake Underground. Doors at 11:30pm, $5 cover. I can't say anything about Pammm, but I am a fan of la Merde.

SUNDAY

Wavelength 285 at Sneaky Dee's, pwyc, 10pm sounds like it could be alright. See more details on their website.

Or drop $10 at the Horseshoe Tavern for a "Punk Rock Extravaganza." On the bill are Fucked Up (playing "Year of the Pig"), The Tranzmitors (Vancouver), DD/MM/YYYY, Statues (Sudbury), and Castlemusic. Doors at 8pm.

I think I'll probably stay in, unless you convince me to go with you to something. Which could happen.

No comments: