Thursday, April 12, 2007

Why is it still winter?

Sigh. But no doubt my upcoming trip will herald the beginning of spring so I will return to flowers and short skirts (on other people). I've been pretty good today, despite my very late rise from the land o' sleep. Marked 8 papers so far! And I must say that the vast majority of them were really quite good, which is excellent, but not good for the grade average, which is inching up to 73. But whatever.

After the eight I decided to do something less taxing and photographed an entire book. It was published in 1928 and comes via inter-library loan, so it's good to have it, lest I not be able to get it again. Since I was photographing a printed source, I decided to run the optical character recognition function in Adobe Acrobat to see what happens. I'm impressed with the results! It even recognized a word that was on two lines, separated by a hyphen. Wow. Now if only all my sources were in clear, dark, straight print . . . . Technology is the shit. (Reason #3,639,782,619.)

So, yeah, winter. What the hell? Maybe it's always like this in April, and I just forget. But it's getting old.

Tomorrow I'm going to do laundry and learn something about fiction. I'll tell you about it afterwards.

No comments: