Thursday, January 17, 2008

Well that was fun.

I went to talk/lunch yesterday---needed to go because a supervisor invited me, but it wasn't interesting. And then I went shopping and came home depressed. Ugh. And then I went to wash out the beer from my Woodhands clothing. Laundry = exciting. If I sound unimpressed with my day, I am/was.

But then I went to the Drake and all was right with the world. It was a No Shame dance party, and boy was it ever fun. (No Shame's now moved to that venue, so I'll be seeing lots more of the Underground.) The Miles---1o years my junior---pretty much blew me away. Those kids are awesome. I believe the term for their performance is "killed." They are on tonight at Sneaks: you should go. Barons and Lengthy (hi!) were great and fun as usual. I've been outed as Jen the blogger. Historian BK came with me to the show because he'd been wanting to see B & L for a while now. And now he has, and he was happy. I've seen the band four times now, I think, and each time they've played in a different kind of lineup. It's interesting that they can do that, and really make it work each time. When will you have an EP/LP that I can buy?

Last up was The Primordials. I've chatted with one of the band members (Shawn Jurek) on several occasions---he used to be in Oh No Forest Fires, and played the Rock Lottery---and had heard from him about this other band, but hadn't had a chance to see them perform until last night. And, oh my, what fun! Me and the rest of th people in the audience (but not BK) danced happily and I
came home with their LP. It's quite beautiful. I don't quite know what to do with the vinyl record part of it, though.

I've got big plans for working on my dissertation today. I'll let you know how it goes.

No comments: