Thursday, January 31, 2008

There's gonna be snow.

Well, it's winter in eastern Ontario, and there's snow a-coming. This is unexceptional. But I have a flight on Saturday! And it better damn take off as scheduled!! Stupid weather. Otherwise, yay, snow!

I went for a wee drive today, for the first time in many, many months. Just to the drug store to get supplies, but it was still a bit nerve-wracking. The intersection 6 minutes down the road used to be a one-lane road with a stop sign and a dirt road leading to nowhere if you turned right instead of heading straight or left. Now it's a double-lane in every direction with a full set of lights. Crazy. Stupid suburban expansion. I hate it. HATE. It's quite terrible. Houses are crammed together that all look the same with no lawns to speak of. Roads with idiotic names like "Windmere Cres." WTF? Huge parking lots and big box grocery stores open 24 hrs, all staffed by teenagers. I can't believe parents do this---move to outer suburbia---to themselves and their children. It's awful. There are no trees.

I just don't get it.

Say what you will about affordable housing, blah blah blah. So you live in an apartment downtown, or a small duplex on the outskirts of the city centre. What's wrong with that?!

Ugh.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

don't tell me about suburbia. Can't stand the thing. I lived for 3 years in the suburbs of Montreal (which are not that bad since you can get downtown in 15 mins and I could rely on public transportation) and have come to realize that I'd rather live in a small, two-bedroom apartment with no garden downtown than an impressive house with a swimming pool in the 'burbs. I pray every day that I may find a job in a place where I can live in town.