Saturday, January 05, 2008

Indie Music 17.

Welcome to my weekly roundup of inexpensive indie(ish) musical happenings in downtown Toronto. I try to list as many shows here as I know about, though with a preference for listing those happening at venues I especially like, or featuring performers I know something about. This list is thus not comprehensive. In addition, I rarely list shows that cost $10 or more, and never ones that require advance ticket purchases. If I'm missing something or you have any comments, please do let me know.

There are lots of good shows on this week. Highlights include an in-store show by Brooklyn-based band Nada Surf at Sonic Boom (close by!) and Carl Wilson's book launch at the Gladstone Wednesday night. At the latter, local heroes Final Fantasy, Laura Barrett, and The Blankket will perform Celine Dion covers. OMG. (Taking a moment.) I've starred what I think will be especially good bets, but darn near everything on this list has something to recommend it. If you're up for some dancing come Saturday night, come with me to Teranga for the Woodhands show. There really is a great deal of amazing musical stuff happening in this city. And I'm not even paying attention to all the jazz, blues, and classical events, or shows that cost more than a few bucks. Wow.

MONDAY (7 jan)

Elvis Monday feat. My Psycho Ex, The Flying Museum Band, Chinawoman, GIRAGIRA.gif, Adam Faux, and The People of Canada @ The Drake Underground, 9 pm, free. I haven't been paying attention to Elvis Mondays. My bad.

Shoeless Monday feat. The Calrizians @ 11:30, NikkisTrick @ 10:30, and Mindsight @ 9:30. The Horseshoe Tavern, free.

TUESDAY (8 jan)

The Edge 102.1 Dave Bookman's Nu Music Nite feat. Perpetrators @ 12:00, greedyfeedr @ 11:10, Exley @ 10:20, and Walk Off The Earth @ 9:30. The Horseshoe Tavern, free.

Pitter Patter Nights presents Key Witness, PDF Format, Alanna Brown, and The Gamines @ The Boat, $5. This is my pick for the night. I really need to see PDF Format, and Key Witness, and The Gamines. And probably Alanna Brown, too.

Hell's Belles presents Raclones (Ramones Tribute band), Chunnel @ The Bovine, 9pm, $5.

WEDNESDAY (9 jan)

* Nada Surf @ Sonic Boom, 7:15pm, free. Nice!

** Carl Wilson's book launch for Let's Talk about Love w/ Laura Barrett, The Blankket, Final Fantasy, and Laura Landauer/Gypsy Miller performing as Celine Dion @ The Gladstone, 7:30pm, free. Mark Kingwell will be interviewing Wilson. Not to be missed, except probably by me. ALL the coolest people in town will be there, and the lineup is brilliant and amazing. *sob*

U of T Battle of the Bands @ Lee's Palace, $2.

Local Alternative feat. Whale Tooth @ 12:00, Bella Clava @ 11:10, Nightlife @ 10:20, and Dammien Alexander & The Sonic Cinema @ 9:30. The Horseshoe Tavern, $4.

Pitter Patter Nights presents The Craft Economy, Elbow Beach Surf Club, and Ruby Coast @ The Boat, 9pm, $5. I have seen all of these bands, and have enjoyed them. I especially like The Craft Economy: they are super fun to see live. And Ruby Coast is shockingly good considering how young the band members are. I might be at this since I likely can't make the earlier events.

THURSDAY (10 jan)

CaMp CoMbO @ Tranzac (Southern Cross Lounge), 10 pm, pwyc. I'm ashamed to admit that I didn't see at show in this lovely spot until New Year's Eve, and it's just great, and I will go again.

Barn Owl vinyl release w/ Timber Timbre and Maggie Cross @ Mitzi's Sister, 10pm, pwyc.

Local Alternative feat. Purge @ 12:00, Wildlife @ 11:10, Living Room @ 10:20, and The Hots @ 9:30. The Horseshoe Tavern, $4.

* Whatever Happened to Corduroy? (CD release) w/ The Postage Stamps, Oh No Forest Fires @ The Gladstone, 8 pm, $5. I could be here.

Winhara and The Clear @ El Mocambo (First Floor), 9pm, $5. Can I just point out---and this has nothing to do with these bands---that I hate the El Mo's website. It's dreadful.

Pitter Patter Nights presents Les Kilt w/ Ten Kens and The Salarymen @ The Boat, 9pm, $5.

HOTBOXXX feat. My Dim Eyes @ 11:00, Counterfit Fifty @ 10:15, Space Is For Stars @ 9:30, and House Of Commons @ 8:45. Lee's Palace, $5.

FRIDAY (11 jan)

The i Spies (CD release) feat. a whole bunch of DJs @ Sneaky Dee's, 9pm, pwyc. Sounds like fun! Billed as "Spy vs. Spy / ALL*Star indie DJ Showdown."

Katie Stelmanis (CD release) w/ The Luyas, The Torrent, and Emma McKenna @ The Silver Dollar, 9pm, $5.

Mongrels and The Brown Hornets @ The Bovine, 9pm, $5.

Local Alternative feat. Jay Spectre @ 12:30, The Ryde @ 11:30, Years Of Silence @ 10:30, and Bernadette @ 9:30. The Horseshoe Tavern, $6.

Two Way Monologues presents Mark Berube, qr5, and The Cheap Speakers @ Rancho Relaxo, 9pm, $7. I know nothing about these bands, but I am confident that TWM shows are always good/great.

Turn Off The Stars @ 12:00, The Dress Whites @ 11:00, The Sweethearts of the Revolution @ 10:00. Lee's Palace, $7.

Dancing:

Doing it to Death @ The Boat, 10pm, $5. Wes Allen's DJ dance party.

SATURDAY (12 jan)

* Woodhands w/ Bocce, Opopo, and Green Go @ Teranga, $6. This is where I will be, with friends (as usual for a Woodhands show). I am VERY much looking forward to it.

Although I really recommend Woodhands' electro indie dance party, there are, I suppose, some other things to do tonight. Actually, a few good options. I'd be happy to be at any of them, really:

Local Rock feat. Harley Quinn @ 12:30, Mississippi Kings @ 11:30, Barons & Lengthy @ 10:30, and Seymour @ 9:30. Lee's Palace, $5. Note to B & L: Stop playing shows that conflict with others shows, ok, please? I appreciate your cooperation in this matter. Thank you.

Ketch Harbour Wolves, Fox Jaws, and Bass Lions @ El Mocambo (First Floor), 9pm, $5. I must see Fox Jaws. Another time.

The Weather Station w/ Isla Craig and The Shelby Lamb Band @ Tranzac (Southern Cross Lounge), 10pm. I will have to see The Weather Station at their February show.

Kensington Station presents Fire Hydrant (EP release) @ Neutral (349A College St.), $5. Yet another band I will have to see another time. Good luck with the EP!

Local Alternative Ska Punk feat. Crush Luther @ 12:30, Grand:PM @ 11:30, Summerside @ 10:30, and Police & Procedures @ 9:30. The Horseshoe Tavern, $10.

Dancing:

Shake A Tail @ Clinton's, 10pm. This Bloor West bar is the weekly dance party's new home.

DMoney presents Fuck Faces @ Sneaky Dee's, 10pm, $5. With DJs Barbi, Cyro, Dougie Boom, and Fistfight. Popular indie dance party.

Bang the Party @ The Boat, 10pm, $5.

SUNDAY (13 jan)

Wavelength 395 feat. Whiskey Priest, Anna Linda Siddall & Colin Fisher, The Future Has A Silver Lining, and DJ Bad Boys 2 @ Sneaky Dee's, 9pm, pwyc.

Gather Round feat. Hamilton Trading Co. and Brad Casey @ The Boat, 9pm, $5. Gather Round is an open mic night.

Castlemusic and Alex Lukashevsky "play for the January Babies" @ Tranzac (Southern Cross Lounge), 10pm, pwyc ($5).

No comments: