Sunday, August 19, 2007

I hate packing.

I really, really, really hate packing. I just don't want to do it. Partly it's because I'm indecisive about things and like to be organized; the uncertainty that comes with going to another place and not quite knowing what I'll find once I get there makes me slightly crazy. It's quite ridiculous, I know, especially since I'm flying into San Francisco and renting a room in a house in Palo Alto, where Stanford University is. The weather is going to be approximately the same as here, except hotter. And hopefully drier. If I forget something, it will be no problem to get a replacement. And if I don't bring enough clothing, I can do laundry. Easy peasy. And yet I procrastinate because I don't want to deal with figuring things out.

If all my previous trips are any indication, this one should be all kinds of awesome, and I'll get some great stuff at the archive I'll be working at. I can't take pictures with my digital camera this time around, so I need to remember to leave a bit of room in my suitcase to pack photocopies. All of which is quite annoying, since . . . [insert rant about the damage done to one-of-a-kind historical material by photocopying, and extreme idiocy of no photographing policies because the whole point of an archive is to preserve historical documents for future use]. Grrrrr. Maddening!

But I promise to take photos outside the archives.

And now I really should go pack. Or at least start packing. Sigh.

1 comment:

Heather said...

Hey,

Whenever I travel, I always mail home my documents...kind of a risk, I guess, if the mail loses them, but I've never had a problem before.

And yes, laundry can be your friend.

Have fun! You've done so much research traveling to cool places, while I am stuck in Ottawa ;)