Saturday, August 11, 2007

I am a supportive friend.

I make this declarative statement in the hopes that it is true. I know I can do better, but I think within the limits of my time and abilities, I am fairly good to my friends. And so last night a bunch of us went to the Parkdale neighbourhood of Queen St. West to have dinner and watch a friend from my program (DR) perform with his band. Of course I wanted to go, and it was a great excuse to hang out with some great people. But I bring up my supportiveness because I was slightly surprised at how few other people showed up to cheer on DR. I guess lots of people are out of town. Anyways, it was a good time, and I quite enjoyed the music.

After the show a chunk of us headed back east and eventually made our way to this eclectic little bar at Dundas and Ossington called the Communist's Daughter. (And, yes, the punctuation was correct on the signage!) DS knew of the place and directed us there after asking random people on the street for directions! An ingenious move, DS. Imagine actually talking to people you don't know. Excellent. After chillin' and chattin' it was time to move on and grab Turkish fare at a College St. joint not far away. I had a shawarma, and though it was just fine, it didn't taste like any shawarma I've ever had in my life. And I've had my share of shawarmas (for a white girl living in Canada). Odd, but interesting.

Today I lazed around, talked to my parents on the phone, and took a nap in the afternoon. But I did get in about 20 minutes of serious dissertation work. So I feel good about that. Looks like no Saturday-night partying for me . . . though FN just called and she's coming home with a movie, and our friends LT and MB. Good life I live, eh? ;-)

No comments: