Thursday, May 22, 2008

I bought a bike!

Yeah, I didn't have one up to now. (Actually, I pick it up Thursday afternoon.) It's been about 9 and a half years since I've been on a bike, so Wednesday afternoon was a bit iffy . . . but I tried out three, and it was easy. I ended up getting a second-hand bicycle at Bikes on Wheels in Kensington. It's a nice blue French city bike that should do the trick. With the legally-required lights and a bell, a new helmet, and a basket, it cost me nearly $350. But this will make life better, and will save me a bunch on transit over the course of the next few months. Assuming I use the thing, which I imagine I will. I don't know yet where I'll store it when I'm not riding it, though. Hmm.

I got home in the early evening and was tired so decided not to go to Lee's Palace to hear The Diableros. I'd wanted to, but there will be other chances. On better nights. Instead I stayed in and didn't get much accomplished. I talked with TW about our upcoming podcast, with a Masseyite who's taking over the lecture series, organized some stuff for a meeting Thursday afternoon, and did a bit of dissertating in the wee hours.

While I was waiting for MB in Kensington---he helped me a whole lot in my bike-purchasing---I went to the record store across the street from Bikes on Wheels. The day before I'd spotted a Michael Holt album, but didn't buy it then. Today I went back and bought it. (It being "Pilot Single," 2003.) What a lovely set of songs! I saw Michael perform one song at the El Mo before SSLYBY took the stage that evening. And then I saw him a few days later at Tranzac and we got to talking. I'll have to see him perform a proper set . . . and my chance is coming soon. His "I Love Music!" series is happening at the Tranzac Sunday afternoons in June.

Have I mentioned the podcast yet? I'm gonna do the first one on Sunday afternoon with TW from Zygiella. We'll see how it goes. It'll take off from my listings, and will feature a few tunes from bands playing shows in the coming week.

Tomorrow, the meeting, the bike, and hopefully the dissertation. Plus a sushi dinner with CS to celebrate her birthday.

No comments: