Saturday, September 30, 2006

When will I ever do work?

Thursday: Recital at the Four Seasons Centre for the Perfoming Arts. The pianist---Jean-Philippe Sylvestre---was really good (well, as far as I can tell). He seemed like a really nice guy too, which is always important. And he is, ahem, younger than me! (And also kinda cute, which doesn't hurt.)

The Richard Bradshaw Ampitheatre, where the perfomance was held, is bizarre. Imagine a big landing area at the top of a staircase with a glass exterior wall overlooking downtown Toronto. The floor is light-coloured wood and the ceiling is high above. You are welcomed at the top of the open-concept stairs, and then directed to stairs heading up. Except that they aren't really stair; this is the "amphitheatre" seating. You're sitting on what amounts to the floor/stairs. And there's no cushions or anything. So you watch the perfomance and are distracted by the traffic and people and scenery outside. And you're really distracted the more uncomfortable you get. See, I don't have a lot of butt padding. This usually isn't a problem, but in situations like this, it is. Ouch!

After the recital, I headed to campus to take in the afternoon sessions of the 1956 conference. It was good, and I met a fellow grad student at NYU who does similarish stuff to what I do. I should make sure to remember him in case I have a question later on about the organization he studies.

After dinner, FN's friend came over and we watched Rushmore (1998). The friend is very entertaining, but the movie got boring, so I escaped to my room to do a little bit of work, or something.

Friday: Got up early to be at the conference for 9am. Did that all day. The conference talks were only occasionally interesting, but the in-between times are what makes conferences really fun. Although I wasn't presenting, and I don't study anything to do with 1956, it's always good to see real-life historians in action. I guess I'm always taking mental notes about what I should do when I do present at my next conference. I also met a few good people, re-met my external examiner from my MA thesis defense, and hung out with great former and current grad students from my department. All of my dissertation and comps committee members were at the conference at various times yesterday, so if nothing else, I at least was able to remind them of my existence and prove my interest in advancing my education as a historian of international relations!

After a long day at the conference, I went across the street to Massey for the Founders' Gaudy, a fancy high table event. I missed the college photo---the announcement went out over e-mail while I was at the conference, so of course I didn't get it in time [I'm mildy unimpressed, but whatever]---and then dinner eventually started. Massey is an odd place. I will elaborate at some point, I'm sure. I do have a new friend there, I think. She's a PhD student in Near and Middle Eastern Studies, and she was nice enough to give me a ride home. We agreed about the strangeness.

Saturday: Social life continues. Ack! But first, blogging and laundry.

P.S. My supervisor's new book is out today. Congratulations!! How exciting.

No comments: