Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Orientation week.

Goodness, there's lots to do! There's something about school beginning again, and the campus crawling with undergrads that makes me want to work, work, work. Massey orientation continues, and our departmental orientation day is almost all set for Thursday. It will be good to meet some new historians, and catch up with people I haven't seen in a while. As for the Massey kids, well, I went by there today and met a few more. It really does seem like a nice place.

It looks like there's only one (public) microfilm reader on campus with a scanner attached, which is fine as long as I'm the only one who wants to use it! Unfortunately, it's at Kelly Library, which is probably the farthest library from home. For the moment, though, this is fine, since the walk through Queen's Park is nice during the fall. Come winter, I won't be so enthusiastic.

The plan for tomorrow is to lug my laptop and that box of microfilms to the library so I can start looking through them. There should be some good stuff on at least one reel, and I'll try and get through as much of the finding aid for the other (huge) collection as I can. After that I can start looking through printed document collections before heading off to archives in the U.S.

My TA work is beginning soon---I'm just a grader this time around---but I'm kinda looking forward to this assignment. I'll be marking for a course that covers some of the stuff I read about for comps. It will be good to put some of my book-learning to use! Plus, I'm grading for a prof. of whom I'm a big fan, so that's good too.

Back to contemplating my dissertation proposal in preparation for a meeting with my supervisor on Friday . . . .

No comments: