Sunday, August 20, 2006

Lazy Saturday.

Yesterday was fairly unexciting. I'm embarassed to admit that I didn't leave the house except to take out the recycling. I did have a dinner party, though. Ok, not really: HD came over, we cooked, ate, and then watched a movie I own ("Sneakers" [1992], which is so good). We (read: she) also planned my research year.

Looks like I'll be off to Minneapolis and Urbana-Champaign in late fall, then X-mas in Ottawa, followed by Washington or College Park, MD in early 2007. London (and maybe Leeds and Geneva too) in early spring, and the Hoover Institute at Stanford University next summer. Phew! She's trying to convince me that I should drive myself from Minneapolis to Urbana-Champaign, which I don't wanna do. I hate driving to places I've never been before---this really stresses me out. We'll see. Maybe I'll be forced to actually become a real adult and do grown-up things like taking long-distance roadtrips by myself. Sounds awful! I did have an awesome time in Kansas in June---though this didn't entail renting a car, taking public transport, or even staying in a hotel. Hmmm. My first "research trip" is this coming week. I'm off to Charlottetown, PEI to visit my parents . . . who live 5 minutes from the archives, walking time. How great. Too bad there's only one small collection for me there.

I am still in the process of cleaning and organizing my apartment and room. I think this is what I will be doing today too. It's good, though. Just hanging out, watching movies, and doing all the things that I put off during comps. There's still lots more to do, and I also need to go through all the stuff I've collected for my dissertation. Fun!

You know what's also fun? "Sneakers"! Watch it. Now. It's really interesting to see how a movie that came out in 1992 interpreted the "new world order" at the end of the Cold War. "You won't know who to trust," said the Russian consular official. [Should that be "whom"?] Indeed. Love it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

P.E.I.??? You'll be so far away...I'll feel adrift.