Saturday, August 26, 2006

Brrr!

It's darn cold here in Charlottetown, PEI. How do people live here? When my plane landed Thursday morning, it was 12 degrees (celcius) outside. Twelve degrees! In August! And it's been chilly ever since. The house is drafty, but seeing as how it's technically still summer, there's no way we can turn the heat on. Sigh.

I haven't been doing much since I got here. Hung out with my sister, dad, and dog. She likes to swim, which is probably why she's not as fat as she used to be. The countryside is very pretty on this island, and the ocean views are really something too. And there are a whole lot of potato fields. I ate mussels for the first time Thursday evening. They were alright, but I probably wouldn't pay much to eat them.

My parents' house is an old 3-story house with exterior wood shingles painted bright yellow. It's quite nice, if a little rough. As in, the bathrooms and kitchens need remodelling. But I do like the country-style wallpaper and leaded windows. The "bathroom" upstairs is actually two rooms right beside each other. The first, smaller one has nothing but a toilet in it. Yes, that's right: a room with a toilet. Next door to it is a bigger room with a sink and bathtub. So, yeah, you have to go to another room to wash your hands. How odd. (Or quaint, which is how my mom thinks of it, I'm sure.)

I need to wrap myself in a blanket now, so blogging must end. I will post again depending on the internet connection (which I'm stealing from a neighbour).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

the bathroom is super European -- which, yeah, I always felt was annoying, when you had to go to a different room on the other side of apartment to wash your hands after using the toilet. at least yours are next to each other!