Welcome to my weekly roundup of inexpensive indie(ish) musical happenings in downtown Toronto, all for $10 or less. If I'm missing something you think I should list, or you have any comments, let me know. I star (*) shows that most interest me.
Like this list? Join my Facebook group to get my weekly Toronto indie music listings. Subscribe to my weekly podcast (or download the episodes) here, or through iTunes. Or just listen to the latest one, and all the other ones, at Zygiella. Make sure to check the rest of my blog for show reviews and photos, giveaways, and downloads.
Last week I had to miss the Flotilla CD release show, but was well enough to take in three others. Friday night, I arrived at Tranzac in time for Evening Hymns's set. The band was a duo this time (Joe and Jonas), and lovely, as expected. I really liked that last song Jonas Bonnetta played by himself that involves all kinds of looped layers and is totally a dance party track. A great, celebratory way to end a set.
Jordaan Mason & the Horse Museum's CD release celebration at the Music Gallery on Saturday was definitely a tear-jerker, especially toward the end. Packed house? Check. Overwhelmed performers and audience members? Check. Standing ovation? Check. Just awesome. Hamilton Trading Co., performing second, sounded great, and their surprising, choreographed opening song made excellent use of the church's acoustics and layout. Nich Worby was endearingly awkward, apologetic about his apologies, and a great opener.
And then on Sunday I went to Wavelength, where I was treated to two amazing things and one crazy thing: (1) Glorytellers played so quietly that I did not have to put my earplugs in. Apparently, during soundcheck, they had to ask that the sound be turned down. They wanted, they said, to hear the conversations. And this is not an acoustic folk band, folks. It's not hard rock, either, but still. I have NEVER experienced such a thing. It was amazing to be able to hear a band exactly as they are being mixed, and not as modified through my earplugs. (2) Joe Lally is the bassist from this famous band called Fugazi that hasn't played in several years. His new project is totally chilled out and a little funky, with a dash of experimentalism thrown it. Unexpected. It was v. cool. (3) Boxes & Bags are hilarious. Thank you.
WEDNESDAY (10 jun)
Megan Hamilton and Matthew de Zoete @ Tranzac (Southern Cross Lounge), 7:30pm, pwyc. Last show of her residency.
PWYC Weds w/ Sparkling White, Fat City & Cobra @ Rancho Relaxo, 9pm, pwyc.
Weds Go Pop! feat. Alysha Brillinger, Eve & the Ocean, Adam Crossley, and LLIONS @ Supermarket, 9pm, pwyc.
* Spring Songbirds' Show feat. Wendy Leung, Melissa Dalton, and Lara Martin @ Cameron House, 9pm, pwyc.
Download: Wendy Leung, "Stop/Start" (Stop/Start, 2008).
The Chronic, Black Magic Pyramid, and The Kettle Black @ Smiling Buddha Bar, 9pm, $5.
* York Redoubt, Bellevue, Dancefloor Revolution, and The Old Ceremony @ The Boat, 9pm, $5.
Download: Bellevue, "One Two Three" (The Road To Recovery, 2008).
The Reason, Amos the Transparent, and Isle of Thieves @ The Bovine Sex Club, 9pm, $5.
Download: Amos the Transparent, "Lemons, aka BigFishLittlePond" (My, What Big Teeth You Have..., 2009). This is a great, great band.
Broken Sons and more @ Tattoo, 9pm, $5.
Amanda Mabro and Darrelle London @ The Rivoli, 8:30pm, $10.
Snowblower, Punchalice, Silverlane, and more @ Velvet Underground, 9pm, $5.
THURSDAY (11 jun)
* Michael Holt/David Celia/Peter Murray w/ Mantler @ Tranzac (Southern Cross Lounge), 10pm, pwyc.
* Grasshopper, Mean Red Spiders, Youth Crime, and The Jim Storie Juniors @ The Boat, 9pm, $5. (I think.)
Reverse Mount Rushmore and The Decade Of Sleep @ Tattoo, 9pm, $5.
The DGB, Tripping Hazzard, The Low Heroes, and Lucky Stabb @ Rancho Relaxo, 9pm, $5.
Balls @ 12:00, Moment of Truth @ 11:00, Vicarious @ 10:00, and Splice’t @ 9:00 @ Lee's Palace, 8:30pm, $5.
Miasmata @ 11:40, The Matavaras @ 10:50, Creature @ 10:00, and Frail Fragment @ 9:10. The Horseshoe Tavern, 9pm, $5.
* Animal Monster, Man Made Hill, and DJ Craig Dunsmuir @ Wrongbar, 9pm, $5.
The Sunday Sinners, The Bang Bangs, Hank & Lily, and Rich Girl @ The Silver Dollar Room, 9pm, $6.
Truth Explosion presents Bleeders and Matheson @ The Bovine Sex Club, 9pm, $7.
* Simeon Ross (CD release) w/ Major Maker, and DJs Poppa Cheery & Shirley Tempo @ The Drake Hotel (Underground), 9pm, $7.
Music for MS feat. The Assistants, 5th Projekt, AfterpartY, and Radius & Helena @ El Mocambo, 7pm, $10 (or $7 w/ canned food).
ATG presents LORDS, Titan, Barn Burner, and Vilipend @ Sneaky Dee's, 9pm, $10.
FRIDAY (12 jun)
* Malajube, Hollerado, and Les Nombres @ Lee's Palace, 9pm, free. Tickets have already been distributed, but there will be some at the door.
Download: Malajube, "Porte disparu" (Labyrinthes, 2009)
Download: Hollerado, "Americanarama" (Record In A Bag, 2009)
Rucksack Willies, Bluespoon @ Mitzi's Sister, 10pm, pwyc.
Christian D & the Hangovers, Buzz Deluxe, and DJ Vania @ The Bovine Sex Club, 9pm, $5.
WreckingBall Entertainment presents Gutbustalooga feat. The Boys of Reason, Hi Heels Lo Fi, and BS101 @ Bread & Circus, 9pm, $5.
Wordburglar, Noah 23, K The I, Ira Lee, Plague Language, and more @ The Boat, 9pm, $5?
Drunken Moon Sister, The Flyboys, Max Galactic, Arc the Line @ The Silver Dollar Room, 9pm, $6.
* TWM presents Language-Arts, Proof of Ghosts, Luke Nares & the Sleepwalkers @ Rancho Relaxo, 9pm, $7.
Download: Language-Arts, "White Socks in Birkenstocks" (Small Run, 2008).
Download: Proof of Ghosts, "Genevieve" (Proof of Ghosts, 2008).
* No White God, Sun RaRaRa, Saffron Jook Band, and Actual Water @ Rolly's Garage (124 Ossington), 9:30pm (start), $7. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be into this, but many other people will love it.
* One Hundred Dollars, The Deep Dark Woods, and Jason Benoit @ The Horseshoe Tavern, 9pm, $10 (or $8 adv). This will be amazing.
Download: One Hundred Dollars, "No Great Leap" (Forest of Tears, 2008).
Download: The Deep Dark Woods, "Farewell" (Winter Hours, 2009).
Pacific Trash Vortex, J.R. Hill & the Oktars, Magic Cheezies, and tba @ Polish Combatants Hall, 8pm, $tba.
SATURDAY (13 jun)
* Great Bloomers (acoustic) @ TARA (554 Queen St. East), 5pm, free. All ages. You must RSVP with your name and the number of people coming to firstname.lastname@example.org. I have more about the GBs here.
Jesse Hill, Andre Charles Theriault, J.R. Hill, and Brooke Manning @ 960 Queen St. W. (backyard), 7:30pm, pwyc.
Urban Preacher, Groovesmith @ Mitzi's Sister, 10pm, pwyc.
J.J. Ipsen @ Tranzac (Southern Cross Lounge), 10pm, pwyc.
Ginger & Irene, Trainlight, Unsung & more @ The Silver Dollar Room, 9pm.
* TWM 43 feat. The Miles, Heartbeat Hotel, Daniel Daniel & the Small Wonders, and People You Know @ Rancho Relaxo, 9pm, $6. Looking forward to this one!
Download: Heartbeat Hotel, "TVPO" (Transbastardized Orphan under a Harvest Moon, 2009).
Mark Pesci and Stuck In the City present Urban Blight, Cruel Hand, Rah, Hazardous Waste, UV Ray, and Bad Choice @ Siesta Nouveaux (upstairs), 8pm, $10. All ages. BYOB.
Bruce Bickford screening party + Brian Ruryk, D.A.D.S., Battleship Ethel, and Man Made Hill, w/ DJ Longhorn Grille @ The Deleon White Gallery, 8pm, $8. Music at 9:30pm.
The Davey Parker Radio Sound, Revolvers, Clydesdale @ Smiling Buddha Bar, $5.
T H O M A S, Ivy Mairi @ St. Andrew by the Lake, Toronto Island, 8 pm, $8/PWYC.
Diemonds (tour kick-off) w/ Dogs and DJ Darrin Pfeiffer @ The Bovine Sex Club, 9pm, $5.
Download: Diemonds, "Diemoney" (In the Rough, 2008).
Reid Jamieson @ The Rivoli, 8pm, $10.
SUNDAY (14 jun)
* Pink Mountaintops (in-store) @ Sonic Boom, 3pm, free. All ages. Bring a donation for the Daily Bread Food Bank.
Download: Pink Mountaintops, "Holiday" (Outside Love, 2009)
* The Tranzac presents the Festival on Bloor (music) feat. Richard Underhill & the Kengsinton Horns vs. Guh (parading from Spadina and Bathurst, respectively, at 1pm), JCC Choir (1:40pm), One Hundred Dollars (2:05pm), Les Singes Bleus (2:40pm), Ten Ten (3:15pm), Jenny Omnichord (3:50pm), Fojeba (4:25pm), Element Choir (5:05pm), hosted by Michelle Rumball @ Main Stage, Bloor/Brunswick Ave., 1pm, free. All ages. (Obviously, this is a street party).
* The Piano Salon feat. T H O M A S, Kate Tennier (talk), and Beauty Saloon @ 592 Palmerston Ave., 7pm, pwyc. This is a monthly series. There will be snacks and drinks, but feel free to being your own to share.
LAUGHstock feat. A History Of, Tomcat Combat, and Hoosier Poet @ The Boat, 9pm, $5.
* Steamboat (3 sets; residency) @ The Dakota Tavern, 10pm, $5.
* Wavelength 467 feat. Planet Creature, The Jim Storie Juniors (CD release; Doc Pickles' band), The Whole Entire Universe, and Kathleen Yearwood, w/ DJ Dorian Sky @ Sneaky Dee's, 9pm, pwyc ($5-10 sugg).
Download: Doc Pickles, "Sex Drive" (5 is S, 2009).
MONDAY (15 jun)
Elvis Monday feat. Red vs. Red, Mercurymen, In Plain View, Cadillacs of Men, and The People of Canada @ The Drake Hotel (Underground), 9pm, free.
Shoeless Monday feat. Dancing Soul @ 11:15, Montaque Street @ 10:15, and On A Rope Enterprises @ 9:15. The Horseshoe Tavern, 8:30pm, free.
Angela Bower @ Tranzac (Southern Cross Lounge), 7pm, pwyc. This is a lovely way to start your week / rewind after your workday.
* Share, Paper Beat Scissors, and Julie Fader @ The Cameron House, 9pm, $?
Burn Down the Capital presents Daedelus, Ghislain Poirier, and INSIDEaMIND @ Wrongbar, 9pm, $10. Adv tix avail.
TUESDAY (16 jun)
* Apostle of Hustle (in-store) @ Criminal Records, 7pm, free.
The Edge 102.1 Dave Bookman's Nu Music Nite feat. Fairchild @ 11:45, Prototype A @ 11:00, Morre @ 10:15, Ben Kinder @ 9:30, and Smothered In Hugs @ 8:45. The Horseshoe Tavern, 8:30pm, free.
* St. Dirt Elementary School @ Tranzac (Southern Cross Lounge), 7:30pm, pwyc.
* The Book of Gnomes and Paper Beat Scissors @ Tranzac (Southern Cross Lounge), 10pm, pwyc.
Showcho 10 feat. Nick Flanagan (comedy), Mike Kiss (comedy), Julian Bachlow (music), and 1977 (music) @ Rancho Relaxo, 9pm, pwyc.
Download: 1977, "The Otherside" (1977, 2009).
Swiss Dice, T H O M A S, and more @ Supermarket, 9pm, $5.
At Odds With Even, Actors & Architects, Backbone Beat, and Orianna @ The Poor Alex (772A Dundas West), 9pm, $5.
Tom Carter, Shawn McMillan, Texas, Steve Gunn, and Carl Didur @ 69 Vintage (1234 Bloor St. W.), 7pm (early show), $7.
* gangLion comics present The Magic, Boxes & Bags, Henri Faberge, Sour Patch Kids, and Grandmother Willow (Ben Ong) @ The Boat, 9pm, $8. Wedding reception-themed show, and if you dress the part, cover is $5.
Deastro, Young Flux, and Hut @ The Drake Hotel (Underground), 9pm, $8.