Welcome to my weekly roundup of inexpensive indie(ish) musical happenings in downtown Toronto, all for $10 or less. If I'm missing something you think I should list, or you have any comments, let me know. I star (*) shows that most interest me.Like this list? Join my Facebook group or subscribe to this blog. Make sure to check the rest of my blog for show reviews and photos, giveaways, and downloads. You can get lots of other suggestions at Stillepost, Zoilus, the weeklies, and venue websites, etc.
I spent Thursday and Friday nights at the Garrison, which has become the place I go to most since it opened in the fall. It really is the new Sneaky Dee's for me, which is both unfortunate (because Sneaks is cool, damnit, and closer to home than Dundas/Oss) and really neat to see happening. But those two shows showcased more than just good bands. There were a zillion people talking and it was so distracting and, well, rude. Move to the back to have conversations! Turn down the music in the front room during Ghost Bees! Geez. This is something the venue will have to work on if they want to host good quieter shows. And no doubt they will. I'm looking forward to seeing how things shape up over the next few months for this still-new spot.
I missed so much else last week. Gah! Toronto: stop being awesome.
I started doing this list, but now I've run out of time! Check out what I've got, then go over to Stillepost for more. (Link below.)
THURSDAY (28 jan)
The Matadors, TerrorChargers, The Heatskores, more @ Kathedral, 6pm, free.
* View Points: Inside the Musician's Studio featuring The Happiness Project @ Harbourfront (Brigantine Room), 8-10pm, free. "Live Performance and Intimate Discussion with Charles Spearin," hosted by Stuart Berman from Eye Weekly, author of This Book Is Broken.
* Ronley Teper & the Lipliners @ Tranzac (Southern Cross Lounge), 10pm, pwyc. Ronley's band features an ever-changing cast of great musicians. See who's playing this week.
B'MO Crazy and Owel Five & Corboe @ The New Poor Alex, 9:30pm, pwyc w/ canned food donation.
Punk Rock Party feat. The New Enemy, The Roman Line, Skullians, and Caution Inc. @ Sneaky Dee's, 9pm, $5.
* SynthFest Showcase 1 feat. En Francais, Stop Die Resuscitate, and Digits @ Rancho Relaxo, 9pm, $5.
* Kate Maki (CD release) @ Dakota Tavern, 9pm, $5
* Steamboat @ The Dakota Tavern, 11pm, $5.
The James Clark Institute, Foreign Films, and The Legendary Dirtbikers @ Mitzi's Sister, 9pm, $5.
Make Me Young (CD release) w/ Vowls, The Nightlife, Hugh Oliver and Rosie @ El Mocambo (First Floor), 9pm, $5.
* The Untold City presents ROBOTS //// US //// VOL 2 feat. Bocce, TMDP, These Electric Lives, DJ Smack Dabb, OPOPO RMX, DJ Matt Weed @ Wrongbar, 9pm, $7.
Groovetastic presents I Told You I Was Groovy feat. Easyboy (Eric Farber of Truman Peyote), Saskatoon Guitar Destroyer, The Screamagers, and Shepherd @ Tiger Bar, 9pm, $10 (or $11 for 2 tix).
Broken Sons, Central Nervous System, The Danger Bees @ The Rivoli, $10
The Volunteers and Bo Green & The New Jakes @ The Imperial Pub, 9:30pm, pwyc.
Makita Hack & the Logrollers @ Holy Oak, 10pm, pwyc.
DVAS, Kidstreet @ The Boat, $5
Clara Engel and Mekele recital concert @ Arraymusic (60 Atlantic Avenue, Suite 218), 7pm, $5.
We Take Lovers, Buckets Of, The Phonemes, and Mule Skinner @ El Mocambo (First Floor), 9pm, $5.
Bella Clava w/ Revolvers, The Change, and Woodward Company @ The Cameron House, 9pm, $6.
* TWM 55 feat. Great Dane, Sunfields, and Blanc & White @ Rancho Relaxo, 9pm, $6. "Sunfields are the new project from Jason Kent . . . of the Dears."
JEFF the brotherhood, City Sweethearts (album release), Modern Superstitions, and Mutters @ Sneaky Dee's, 9pm, $8.
Australia Day and Waitangi Day feat. The I Love You Toos, Hugh Oliver, Willow Rutherford, Uber Hussy, Hotcha, and more @ Tranzac (Main Hall), 7:30pm, pwyc (sugg $10).
Divine Inspiration feat. @ The Music Gallery, 8pm, $10 (or $6 if you dress up nice). More details here.
Hyacinth presents - Who's Backstage? feat. Modernboys Moderngirls, Corduroy, Slip Of The Tongue, more @ Tattoo Rock Parlour, 9pm, $10.