Welcome to my weekly roundup of inexpensive indie(ish) musical happenings in downtown Toronto, all for $10 or less. If I'm missing something you think I should list, or you have any comments, let me know. I star (*) shows that most interest me.
Like this list? Join my Facebook group to get my weekly Toronto indie music listings. Subscribe to my weekly podcast (or download the episodes) here, or through iTunes. Or just listen to the latest one, and all the other ones, at Zygiella. Make sure to check the rest of my blog for show reviews and photos, giveaways, and downloads.
On Thursday, there's a strong lineup at the Boat. Three bands from Hamilton take over El Mocambo, including the young Sandman Viper Command, who impressed me a few weeks ago at Pitter Patter Fest. Key Witness headlines a diverse show at Sneaks that night, Guh releases an album, as does Romo Roto, a percussion-heavy duo featuring members of DD/MM/YYYY and Machetes. Finally, Wayne Petti & the Thieves perform their second Toronto show at the Dakota.
The Harbourfront free music schedule is awesome Friday and Saturday. Most of the entertainment is part of the Beats, Breaks, and Culture festival, a great annual event. See the Harbourfront website for all the details, including times for the breakdancing competition and the afternoon edition of hip-hop karaoke. On Friday, there are a couple fun tribute nights (One Hit Wonders at Rancho and Weezer tribute at Sneaks), Bradley Boy celebrates a new album with help from Dakota Tavern friends Catl, Silver Dollar hosts a strong lineup of local(ish) bands, and Picastro performs at a fundraiser at the tiny Press Club.
The biggest show of the week is of course Saturday's Broken Social Scene concert at Harbourfront, totally free and open to all (who get there early enough). This is a replacement show for the cancelled Toronto Island concert of the same date. In addition to what else is on at Harbourfront that night, I'm recommending Chang-A-Lang's CD release, and the free afternoon acoustic performance by Black Hat Brigade. For more free music, check out the Friday night show at Yonge-Dundas Square, or Afrofest, happening in Queen's Park all weekend. The weekend ends with Sunday's Wavelength and Steamboat at the Dakota. For something a little different, you're invited to this month's Piano Salon, featuring Jeremy Strachan.
Next week gets off to a slow start (if your musical tastes are like mine), but come Wednesday there's a couple or three shows that should, between them, satisfy your indie craving.
THURSDAY (9 july)
Rockyard, Apollosdown, The Organ Thieves @ Clinton's Tavern.
Sick Error, Invasions, and Deutsche Banks @ Rancho Relaxo, 9pm, $5 (I guess).
* Hank, The World Provider, and Wet Dirt @ The Boat, 9pm, $5.
Huron w/ Sandman Viper Command and The Sweat @ El Mocambo (First Floor), 9pm, $5.
* Guh (album release) @ The Gladstone Hotel (Melody Bar), 8-11:30pm, free.
* Key Witness, Videotape, Sick Friend, and LAN Party @ Sneaky Dee's, 9pm, $5 (or so).
Raygun Cowboys and Bloodshot Bill @ Bovine Sex Club, 9pm, $5.
* Wayne Petti & the Thieves w/ The Violet Archers @ The Dakota Tavern, 10pm, $5 (I guess).
Holy Holy Holy (records) and Primary Colors presents Romo Roto (record release) w/ Disguises, Bleeding (debut), W Overbite, and DJ Longhorne Grille @ Hot Shot Gallery (181 Augusta Ave.), 9:30pm, $10 (includes CD).
Zepplinesque (Led Zeppelin tribute act, 2 sets) @ Lee's Palace, 8:30pm, $10.
Jay Bennett (ex-Wilco) Tribute feat. Staggered Crossing and friends @ The Horseshoe Tavern, 8:30pm, $10.
FRIDAY (10 july)
* Winter Gloves @ Harbourfront Centre (Sirius Stage), 8pm, free.
* Holy Fuck @ Harbourfront Centre (Sirius Stage), 9:30pm, free.
MixMotion @ Harbourfront Centre (Brigantine Room), 10pm, free.
* Styrofoam Ones @ Harbourfront Centre (Brigantine Room), 11pm, free.
* DD/MM/YYYY @ Harbourfront Centre (Brigantine Room), midnight, free.
At Odds With Even w/ The Unbelievers and The Hormoans @ The Imperial Pub, 9pm, pwyc.
Josie Lalonde & Larry Nusbaum, The Swingin' Pussycats, The Three Bears @ Clinton's Tavern.
One Hit Wonders 2 feat. The Lovely Killbots, Wendy Leung, Matt Bahen, Dancehall Free For All, and many others, covering songs by the Proclaimers, Tripping Daisy, Elastica, Biz Markie, LFO, Right Said Fred, and more @ Rancho Relaxo, 9pm, $7.
Weezer Tribute Night @ Sneaky Dee's, 9pm, $7.
The SSRIs and more @ Duffy's Tavern, $10
AUN, Light Of Shipwreck, Women In Tragedy, and Skullbong @ Smiling Buddha, 9pm, $6.
Ministry of the Environment, Kidstreet, Clouds (That Look Like Things), and inUniform @ The Silver Dollar Room, 9pm, $6.
* Christie Pits Community Garden Fundraiser feat. Picastro and Cool Dad, w/ DJs Darren Pelcz and Jordan Richie @ The Press Club, 8pm, $5. Up first is a speaker session and discussion. "Proceeds from the event will be used to build raised beds in the garden to make it more accessible for people who have limited mobility, and towards other start-up costs."
Pop With Brains 22 feat. Delinquints, Proof of Ghosts, Night Crash Noir, Dead Sexy Sheila, and Bella Clava @ The Rivoli, 9pm, $5. Proceeds go to the Centre for Addiction and Mental Health.
* Bradley Boy (album release) w/ Catl (2 sets each, alternating) @ Dakota Tavern, 10pm, $5.
Le Bus (CD release) w/ Dirty Red, Barletta, and Golden Girls (DJ set) @ Augusta House, 10pm, free.
SATURDAY (11 july)
Black Hat Brigade (acoustic), part of the AUX.tv Secret Sessions @ TARA (554 Queen St E), 5pm, free. All ages.
* Parallels @ Harbourfront Centre (Redpath Stage), 7:30pm, free.
* Broken Social Scene @ Harbourfront Centre (Sirius Stage), 8pm, free.
Keys n Krates, TMDP, and Sek & Milano @ Harbourfront Centre (Brigantine Room), 10:30pm, free.
Tripping Hazard, Great Dane, The Micronite Filters, and tba @ Mitzi's Sister, 10pm, pwyc.
Bishop Morocco (live band debut), Josh Reichmann (solo), and DJs Jaime Sin and Mikey Apples @ WhipperSnapper Gallery, 10pm, $5.
Subsistance, Machine Gun Dolly, Terminals, and Class War Kids @ Rearview Mirror, 9pm, $5.
* Chang-A-Lang (CD release) w/ Make Me Young, Real Cops, and Danger! Danger! @ The Magpie, 9:30pm, $6 door (or $10 will get you the EP too).
TWM presents Sitcom, Protozoans, Higher Rites, and The Artful Vandelays @ Rancho Relaxo, 9pm, $6.
Mark Pesci presents The Rosewood Thieves, Rocket Reducers, and City Sweethearts @ Sneaky Dee's, 9pm, $7.
The Dunes, Future History, Entropy, Sycho Logic, and The Damage @ The Horseshoe Tavern, 9pm, $8.
SUNDAY (12 july)
Ramblin' Rose w/ Bo Green @ The Press Club, 9pm, pwyc.
Wavelength 471 feat. Sing Leaf and Conconquidore Truidore, hosted by Doc Pickles, visuals by General Chaos @ Sneaky Dee’s, 9pm, pwyc ($5-$10 suggested).
* John Kameel Farah (CD release) w/ Nick Storring, Pau Torres, and c64 @ El Mocambo (First Floor), 8pm, $10 or pwyc.
Marcel Aucoin and Michael Holt present The Piano Salon feat. Jeremy Strachan w/ Robin Buckley, Beth Lawrence (presentation), and Marcel Aucoin @ 15 Bloomfield Ave., 7pm, pwyc. Feel free to bring food and drink to share.
* Steamboat (summer residency) and guests @ The Dakota Tavern, 10:30pm, $5.
MONDAY (13 july)
Elvis Mondays feat. In Plain View, Ravaged by Wolves, Mamabolo, People of Canada, Shobha, and Elyssa @ The Drake Hotel (Underground), 9pm, free.
Stuck In the City presents Hatred Surge, Mammoth Grinder, The Endless Blockade, and U.T.I. @ Siesta Nouveaux, 7pm, $10. All ages. BYOB.
TUESDAY (14 july)
The Edge 102.1 Dave Bookman's Nu Music Nite feat. Jon Gerson, Solitary Sun, Thrillharmonic, and Free Energy @ The Horseshoe Tavern, 8:30pm, free.
WEDNESDAY (15 july)
PWYC Weds fest. Nate Daniels Band, Paint, Jay Sparrow, and Dog is Blue @ Rancho Relaxo, 9pm, pwyc.
Train Light, Bryce Clifford, Gettysburg, and One Divided @ The Horseshoe Tavern, 8:30pm, $4.
* THE SSRI's, Soft Copy, and The Divine Nothing @ The Boat, 9pm, $5.
* Zeus, Gentleman Reg, and Danielle Duval @ The Dakota Tavern, 9pm, $7.