Monday, February 11, 2008

Indie Music 22 [short].

Welcome to my weekly roundup of inexpensive indie(ish) musical happenings in downtown Toronto. I try to list as many shows here as I know about, though with a preference for listing those happening at venues I especially like, or featuring performers I know something about. This list is thus not comprehensive. In addition, I rarely list shows that cost $10 or more, and never ones that require advance ticket purchases. If I'm missing something or you have any comments, please do let me know.

Here's my short list of events. I've been crazy busy in the last week. So, check venue listings on these sites: The Bovine, The Cameron House, El Mocambo, The Horseshoe Tavern, Mitzi's Sister, The Rivoli, The Smiling Buddha, Sneaky Dee's, Supermarket, and Tranzac. There's more over at Zoilus, Stillepost, and Musicologist. The Wavelength Festival runs this weekend---I will definitely check out some of it, and you should too. This week may also see me hit up The Boat, Rancho Relaxo, and The Horseshoe Tavern.

MONDAY (11 feb)

Going to bed early.

TUESDAY (12 feb)

I'm not going to a show.

WEDNESDAY (13 feb)

Rock-n-Burlesque feat. Fire Hydrant, Fine Motor Control, and some burlesque performers @ The Boat, $5. More details here.

THURSDAY (14 feb)

A handful of Valentine's-themed shows tonight. And then there's the first night of the Wavelength festival, which is where I will probably be.

Wavelength #400, Night One feat. Bruce Peninsula, Huckleberry Friends, and Terry Riley's "In C" played by the Social Music Workgroup @ Music Gallery, 7 pm, pwyc.

Lipstick, Cherry presents Loveless (My Bloody Valentine tribute) w/ Germans, Sleeping Kings of Iona, Gravity Wave, To Downcast Your Eyes, Hollowphonic, DJ Pammm, and more @ The Drake Underground, 9pm, $5.

FRIDAY (15 feb)

Good options, with good people guaranteed at each of these events:

Wavelength #400, Night Two feat. Glissandro 70 (DJ set), Bocce, Daniel Nebiat, Sister Suvi, and Abdominal @ Gladstone Hotel, 9 pm, pwyc.

Two Way Monologues Indie Feast fest. Whale Tooth, The Coast Guard, After the Weather, and Diamond Teeth @ Rancho Relaxo, 9pm, $5.

The Boy From ET (CD release) w/ Ajay Mehra @ Tranzac, pwyc.

Kate Maki (CD release) @ The Cameron House (Back Room), 10pm.

Big Primpin' Happy Valentine's Gay Party w/ Kids on TV and special guests @ The Drake Underground, 9pm.

SATURDAY (16 feb)

Wavelength #400, Night Three feat. Lullabye Arkestra, DD/MM/YYYY, Dance Electric, Telefauna, and Femme Generation @ Theatre Centre (1087 Queen W.), doors 8 pm, pwyc.

Indie Rock Extravaganza feat. Raised By Swans, Great Bloomers, Key Witness, and First Person Shooter @ The Horseshoe Tavern, 9pm, $8. This is where I'll be, with friends.

SUNDAY (17 feb)

Wavelength #400, Night Four feat. Nifty, Donne Roberts, Green Go, Opopo, and Transylvanien @ Sneaky Dee's, 8pm, pwyc.

No comments: