Saturday, June 17, 2006

Why I love Bloor St.

Whenever I go for a walk along Bloor St.---the part that runs westward from U of T---I expect to run into people I know. And since I haven't lived in Toronto that long, and don't know that many people (other than historians), this is saying something, I think. Even on a Saturday, when there are no classes and thus it's less likely to run into friends from the department, I still expect to see people I know. And I almost always do, like I did today. It's nice.

The reason, of course, is that there are a lot of students living in this area, and there are a lot of oft-frequented stores along the Spadina-Bathurst strip. But even though there's a good reason for running into people, I still think it's kinda neat. And I like it.

So who did I see today? LB, who's a year ahead of me in the program. He has a new baby at home, and is going to spend the next year in the south of France. Awesome. Isn't it nice when people have happy lives? I sound sappy, which is unusual for me, but I guess I'm in a sappy mood. I've been reading over the papers of my co-panelists---I'm presenting a paper at a conference next Friday---and I'm feeling inspired.

Back to work!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

yay! i like a happy jp

Anonymous said...

what's this happy jp? my favourite jp on bloor street is in an ankle length wool coat trying to run away from her fan club.

historyjen said...

Darn that ankle-length coat! Keeps me from running away from all you hooligans fast enough!! But it is kinda nice to have in the dead of winter, ya know. I'll be happy to wear it next winter so I can attempt to run away from the club, just to make AG happy.