Tuesday, June 13, 2006

A day in the life of this history grad student.

In an attempt to figure out the answer to that age-old question, "Where does the time go?," I decided to do a minute-by-minute log of my day yesterday. And here it is. I haven't done the math yet, but suffice to say that, despite the lack of TV and/or movies and/or going out, I didn't manage to get that much work done. Sigh. But it's not like I was slacking off, either. I mean, a girl's gotta keep up with Go Fug Yourself, right?

11:30am - Alarm clock goes off. Hit "snooze" button.
11:39 - Alarm clock goes off. Listen to last 30 seconds of oboe concerto. Hit "snooze " button.
11:49 - Ditto. Snooze.
11:53 - Get up.
11:55 - Turn on computer. Bathroom, brush teeth.
noon - Check e-mail. Read Gather articles, comment.
12:35pm - Finish checking e-mail. Shower.
12:50 - Out of bathroom. Check e-mail.
12:53 - Start reading P.M.H. Bell's France and Britain 1900-1940.
1:45 - Sandwich time. Check e-mail.
CS calls - 7 minute phone call interrupts lunch.
2:07 - Finished breakfast/lunch. Check e-mail. Think: I can't work. Make tea. Print material for meeting. Check weather online. Get dressed. Apply sunscreen. Talk to FN.
2:45 - Leave house. Think: How does it always take me so long to get ready and leave the house?! Walk to school.
3:00 - CS rides by me on her bike. Think: I should get a bike. Rethink this thought: Toronto drivers.
3:05 - Arrive at meeting (late). Think: Being late is part of my charm, right?
3:50 - Finish meeting. Head to department. Run errands in department. Important stuff.
4:32 - Check e-mail at school.
4:35 - Head off to library to get inter-library loan book
4:45 - Leave library. Return DVDs. See nice dogs. Walk by hardware store (twice). Think (each time): I think I'm forgetting something. Buy 1 banana at fruit/veggie stand. Head home.
5:07 - Walking home. Think: I forgot to buy screws!
5:15 - Arrive at home
5:20 - Turn on computer. Wait for internet connection. Why is it so slow to connect?! Check e-mail. Send e-mail.
5:25 - Get on Yahoo Messenger at HD's insistence.
5:30 - Chatting with HD. Read History News Network articles, Fametracker, and Go Fug Yourself.
6:10 - Finish chatting with H. Change into pyjamas.
6:15 - Check e-mail.
6:20 - Do dishes. Make dinner.
7:07 - Break from making dinner to check e-mail.
7:20 - Eat dinner.
7:45 - Finish dinner. Check e-mail. Read Aussie girl's blog and more HNN stuff.
7:55 - Bathroom. Wash face.
8:00 - Continue reading Bell.
8:40 - Break. Check e-mail. Spend some time organizing/scheduling my life.
9:05 - Start reading again.
10:00 - Short break.
10:03 - Back to reading.
10:50 - Break to brush teeth, floss, make tea. Read stuff on internet. Read Acephalous. Think: I think I understand it today!
11:17 - Start writing this blog entry. Drink tea.
11:30 - Back to reading.
11:55 - Finish Bell. YAY! Check e-mail. Hungry. Eat leftovers.
12:20 - Finish eating and gabbing with FN. Type up some notes from Bell.
Intersperced with more e-mailing---work/school related---and MSNing. Get distracted reading friend's blog, chatting. Think: Must type notes.
12:50 - Finish typing notes. Think: I hate typing notes. Print notes. Think: Remember that time when this laptop crashed and I lost everything? Always back-up and print.
Continuing to chat. Think: Crap. But EC is cool, so it's all good.
1:10 - Start writing blog entry (the one from earlier today). EC has no good suggestions for what it should be about. FN is eating fancy junk-food. Think: I think that's an oxymoron. Whatever: It still tastes good!
1:20 - Finish chatting. Still working on blog entry.
1:30 - Finish blog entry. Post it.
1:45 - Realize I got distracted on Gather. Take a break.
1:52 - Remember I need to write newsletter article on threat of medievalist torture. Do that now.
2:05 - Finish write-up. E-mail editorial team about Thursday meeting.
2:10 - Start reading Herbert Hoover autobiography (volume 1).
2:45 - Break. Check e-mail.
2:55 - Reading.
4:30 - Stop reading. Brush teeth.
4:35 - Turn off light. Attempt to fall asleep.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Really Jen, putting aside how time obviously does fly by, even when we don't do anything and yet get nothing done, etc., have you noticed how this blog entry makes it painfully clear that your entire life cycle has switched from 'early morning to early night' to instead 'early afternoon to middle-of-the-night'?
Tsk tsk. You're missing out on your whole morning. Where is that early bird catching that early worm?
;)

historyjen said...

Yeah, but the early bird's got nothing on me... i go to sleep after the birds start singing. plus, mornings are overrated, methinks.

Anonymous said...

someone needs to tell chase to stop being so damn hot

its really quite irritating

historyjen said...

Erin: I'm prepared to accept Chase's hotness, but I still think he may not age well. We'll see.
What's irritating me at the moment is that I need to read that darn book, and it's not that exciting! Must do it.

Anonymous said...

yay for my medievalist torture. muahaha