Like this list? Join my Google Group to get my weekly Toronto indie music listings. Or, the Facebook group. Subscribe to my weekly podcast (or download the episodes) here, or through iTunes. Or just listen to the latest one, and all the other ones, at Zygiella. Make sure to check the rest of my blog for show reviews and photos, giveaways, and downloads.
Musical highlights from last week include the spazzy electro soul awesomeness of Pants & Tie; the very different rock 'n' soul of Steamboat (both of which fall into the I-can't-believe-I'm-experiencing-this category) with spectacular guests Mantler (!), Andre Ethier (!), $100, Sandro Perri, and others; and a solid Wavelength bill with standouts Emma McKenna and Braids. These three shows put me back $5+$6+pwyc($5)=$16. Unbelieveable. Where did you party last week?
This weekend is the Over the Top Festival, which is amazing. AMAZING. I had a chance to talk to the fest's creator and curator, Eric Warner, a week or two ago. He told me about some of the bands he's brought in, and now that I've had a chance to check out some of the others on my own, and after thinking about all the local acts that are playing, I can't get over the strength of this festival. For all the details and---more importantly---free songs from most of the bands playing, check out my preview post. You will not be disappointed. (And check out my other recent posts for giveaways you can enter.)
Here are some non-festival suggestions.
WEDNESDAY (20 may)
Colin Fisher @ Tranzac (Tiki Room), 8pm, pwyc.
Reverse Mount Rushmore, The Assistants, Fourthwall, and Compound Band @ The Horseshoe Tavern, 8:30pm, $4.
* Kids on TV, Katie Stelmanis, and Gentleman Reg, w/ DJ Black Cat feat. The House of Monroe @ Buddies In Bad Times Theatre, 10pm, $5 or free with any ticket from a Wed screening from the Inside Out Film Festival.
* Charlotte Cornfield w/ The Keys, Laurent Bourque, and Leif Vollebekk @ The Rivoli, 7:30pm, $8.
THURSDAY (21 may)
The Champion Heartache, Rikers, Dirt & Diamonds, and Wildlife @ The Horseshoe Tavern, 8:30pm, $4.
The Prince Brothers (CD release) w/ Jennifer LFO and Annelise Noronha @ The Rivoli, 8pm, $5.
Mein, Clydesdale, The Changes, Revolvers, and The Paper Makers @ The Silver Dollar Room, 8:45pm, $5.
Pace The Stairs, TONNN, We Were Former, and Toddler Body @ The Boat, 9pm, $5.
Buckets Of, The Knifings, and Mandeverest @ Clinton's Tavern, 10pm, $5.
Adaline w/ Katie DuTemple & the Staytoughs and Carmen Elle @ The Drake Hotel (Underground), 10pm, $6.
Intertia Entertainment presents Keelhaul, Sin Dealer, and The Womb @ The Annex WreckRoom, 8pm, $10.
FRIDAY (22 may)
* Woods (in-store) @ Soundscapes, 6pm, free. All ages. GO TO THIS.
* Simeon Ross and Sigrun Stella @ Mitzi's Sister, 9pm.
Pop With Brains feat. Morning Electric, Green Splat, Everything All the Time, The Vicious Guns, and The Job @ The Rivoli, 9pm, $5. Art for sale. Proceeds to CAMH.
* Catl w/ Bradley Boy (2 sets each) @ The Dakota Tavern, 10pm, $5.
* Steam Whistle Unsigned 10 feat. Parallels, Kidstreet, and Ministry of the Environment @ Steam Whistle Brewing (255 Bremner Bldv), 8pm, $5.
Corduroy, The North, and Romeo Liquor Store @ Rancho Relaxo, 9pm, $6.
* Amos the Transparent, Make Your Exit, Whale Tooth, and The Lovely Killbots @ The Horseshoe Tavern, 9pm, $7.
Balboa, Drunkula, and Poisonous Glass @ El Mocambo, $8.
* Mark Berube and the Patriotic Few w/ Ketch Harbour Wolves @ The Drake Hotel (Underground), 8-11pm, $10.
SATURDAY (23 may)
Groovy Religion (reunion show) @ The Rivoli, 9pm, pwyc.
Stagehands, Sex Butler, Mermen Attack, and The Potholes @ The Silver Dollar Room, 9pm, $6.
Permanent Bastards, Songs from a Room, Julia Set Generator, and Revolvers (EP release) @ Lee's Palace, 9pm, $7.
Vanderpark, Faded Blue, Woodward Co., and Cody Allan @ The Horseshoe Tavern, 9pm, $8.
SUNDAY (24 may)
* Wavelength 464: Remember Toronto II: Band Reunited feat. Grasshopper (1991-96), The Electric Shoes (2000-04), Kat Rocket (1993-2001), and Tiger Bomb (1995-2003), w/ DJ Snake Vomit & the Half-Digested Possum, visuals by General Chaos, and hosted by Doc Pickles @ Sneaky Dee's, 9pm, pwyc ($5-$10 sugg).
* Toronto 9th Annual Bob Dylan Tribute hosted by Shawn Clarke w/ Dave Borins, Amy Campbell, Sarah Loucks, and Noah Zacharin @ C'est What, Sunday, 24 May, 9pm, $8.
MONDAY (25 may)
* Murder Folk Night 3 feat. Damian Rogers, Dave Borins, and Kate Boothman @ Board of Directors Gallery (1082 Queen St. W.), 7-10pm, pwyc.
Mark Pesci presents Daniel James Gang, The International Datelines, and Rackshot @ Rancho Relaxo, 9pm, $5.