Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Indie Music 4.

Welcome to my weekly roundup of inexpensive indie(ish) musical happenings in downtown Toronto. I try to list as many shows here as I know about, though with a preference for listing those happening at venues I especially like, or featuring performers I know something about. This list is thus not comprehensive. In addition, I rarely list shows that cost $10 or more. If I'm missing something or you have any comments, please do let me know.

If you're not cheap (like me), then some good ideas for music this week can be found here. But most of this stuff if more than I'm willing to pay on a regular basis. So it's all out. Well, then, what can one do this week?

WEDNESDAY

Head over to the Boat in Kensington Market (158 Augusta, up the stairs) for Pitter Patter Nights #295. On are Vancouver's Better Friends than Lovers, Montreal's the Winks, Toronto's Numbers & Figures, and Silver Speakers. Wow, too bad I am meeting friends from out of town. Wait, I didn't mean it like that. You know what I mean.

See more here.

THURSDAY

No Shame at Tiger Bar. Doors at 9pm, $5 cover. Bathurst at Lippincott, enter through the College St. Diner. Once again I have other plans, but would otherwise go to this. As I've said before (and will no doubt say again), I like Tiger Bar. Go, make new friends, drink cheap tall beer, and take it all in. Playing this week are Tropics, the Hoa Hoa's, Ruby Coast, and Arrows.

FRIDAY

Head over to Teranga in Kensington Market (159 Augusta) at 10pm for We are Wolves, Put the Rifle Down, Huckleberry Friends, and DJ Daniel Vila. Seven bucks. This seems like it will be a good time. But I am not free.

At the Horseshoe Tavern on Queen West (just east of Spadina, on the north side of the street), you can, for $10, go see the Besnard Lakes and Young Galaxy. Both bands are from Montreal, so it's perhaps worth the extra expense ;-).

Bang the Party, a dance party at the Boat, is also happening today. DJs Gang of Two. Five dollars at the door. Go late or be brave and be among the first on the dance floor.

SATURDAY

If you're curious and in the area, stop by Criminal Records (493 Queen West) at 3pm to hear Sunparlour Players. It's free. These guys are bizzare. Maybe in a good way, maybe in a bad way. I'm undecided. You will want to stomp your feet.

More dancing at the Boat, this time it's 60s funk and soul shindigs at Doin' It to Death. Presumably also $5.

I will be at a house party.

SUNDAY

Wavelength at Sneaky Dee's is often a good bet. It's pay what you can, and drinks are not expensive. This week you can catch...
12am - Craft Economy - new Toronto new wave
11pm - Sleeping Kings of Iona - bleeping Buffalo electronics
10pm - Idle Tigers - vaudevilleian electronic Britonto pop
+ DJ BJ

Or else Pitter Patter Nights #296 at the Boat, $5. The Details (from Winnipeg), Barons and Lengthy, Wildlife, and Malcolm Bauld. UPDATE: For more on the Winnipegers, see this interview on BlogTO.

So, if you've read this far, you know that I won't be going out, except maybe on Sunday. But I recommend that you do, and let me know all about it!

No comments: